- About Us
- Get Involved
- Virtual Library
- Enroll Now
United South End Settlements is proud to be an official non-profit partner with John Hancock for the 2017 Boston Marathon. Please note the application for Team USES is now closed.
The mission of USES is to build a strong community by improving the education, health, safety and economic security of low-income individuals and families in Boston’s historic South End/Lower Roxbury and to serve as a national model of successful neighborhood engagement.
DID YOU KNOW?
Our roots in the South End/Lower Roxbury run deep. For generations, our community has been home to families of all backgrounds, a refuge for the city’s artistic soul, and at the forefront of opening doors for residents and guests regardless of their sexual orientation, class or religion. USES was founded in 1891 as the first settlement house in Boston when members of the community committed to ensuring all residents had what they needed to move forward. This was the beginning of the early social justice movement.
Today, USES is fulfilling its commitment to equality and opportunity through our innovative, holistic model that supports growth and achievement across the lifespan.
Underscoring our mission is the principle that healthy communities are rich with opportunities to engage across class, race, ethnicity, age, gender, lifestyle, and disability. It is only through such engagement that a community can create “social capital” – the relationships, trust, and networks that lay the foundation for problem solving and, ultimately, a common vitality that sustains all community members.
The application for Team USES is now closed. The fundraising minimum requirement is $10,000. If you have any questions, please contact Team USES Marathon Coordinator Heather Kaufmann at firstname.lastname@example.org or 617-375-8125.
• A tour and orientation to help you get to know the programs and participants of USES
• A personalized fundraising page with setup support
• Design support for ongoing email communication with your supporters
• Free weekly long runs, speed workouts, coaching, and more through Heartbreak Hill Running Company right here in the South End
• Space to host fundraising events as well as a post-marathon celebration
• Connections to local restaurants and businesses to support fundraising events
• Two tickets to The Neighborhood Gala in spring, 2017
• Very enthusiastic cheerleaders on race day